Howto: Disable the clicking sound in Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer

by admin on January 29, 2009

The clicking sound that Windows plays when you click on a link in Internet Explorer or open a folder in Windows Explorer can get annoying.

Here’s how to disable the sound in Windows XP:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices
  2. Click the Sounds tab
  3. Scroll down the list under Program Events. Under the Windows Explorer section, highlight Start Navigation.
  4. Under the Sounds box, select (None) > OK, close Control Panel

Here’s how to disable the sound in Windows Vista:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Sound
  2. Click the Sounds tab
  3. Scroll down the list under Program. Under the Windows Explorer section, highlight Start Navigation.
  4. Under the Sounds box, select (None) > OK, close Control Panel

You should no longer hear the clicking noise when you select links in Internet Explorer or open directories in Windows Explorer.

{ 27 comments… read them below or add one }

Rebecca April 25, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Thanks! I have been muting my computer on and off for years whenever that dratted clicking noise got on my nerves. Now I don’t have to anymore.

Lee Churchill May 3, 2009 at 4:52 am

Thank you. Now if I can just find a way that my websites can disable this default feature of Windows Explorer, I’ll be in business. Unfortunately, about two thirds of users are still using Explorer, which seems to like sabotaging the designers audio/visual design with these arbitrary clicks. It’s frustrating for both users and designers.

Sharon May 29, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Under the same screen, I selected no sounds for all of it…and poof, it worked! LOL, fixed my problem, not sure if it created another though.

Disable Internet Explofer Sound in Windows 7 June 14, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Here’s how to disable the Internet Explorer clicking sound in Windows 7.

i8pikachu August 12, 2009 at 12:52 pm

That has to be the most annoying sound. Why MS decided to continue this archaic sound through the few generations of IE is mystifying. It makes even the newer versions sound like an old, slow computer.

Akrid November 15, 2009 at 11:14 am

I can’t disable mine, I did the instructions and it reverts to the default again. And yes I did click apply.

muumi December 2, 2009 at 6:55 am

same problem, windows reverts changes to default when clicking apply even if saving profile first

Akrid December 2, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I fixed it by finding the sound file and deleting it.

fenderchris December 11, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Since installing SP3 the Windows Explorer sounds can not be turned off! – After going through the steps described above, the system does not retain the changes.

I am using XP SP3 in a recording studio where we use very high speaker levels, so this click is a serious health risk (apart from the constant danger that the click will blow the speakers) – Microsoft need to fix this immediately.

Akrid December 12, 2009 at 4:32 am

Find the sound file and delete it. You can find it in C:\WINDOWS\Media Just look for the name of the sound you don’t want and rename the file or delete it with vengeance as i did.

jiali October 21, 2010 at 11:09 am

thank you so much! finally it is fixed.. thanks

mspence December 13, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Yes, deleting it seemed to work. God it is annoying, isn’t it?

(Note: Look in Media, it should be listed as Windows Navigation Start Loud).

Johnny December 16, 2009 at 9:57 am

Thanks for the tip Akrid – deleting is the only option.

Mark January 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Thanks-this helps when listening with headphones.

Sean Fitzgerald January 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for recommending deleting the sound file. That’s the only way I was able to get rid of it.

LEE February 2, 2010 at 11:40 pm

WORKED CHEERS

archie February 25, 2010 at 2:21 am

Thank you! Thank you!
Finally got rid of that!!!
I already thought it was some kind of virus that I cannot catch… Thanks!

Chris March 19, 2010 at 10:15 am

OMG OMG OMG OMG THANK YOU!!!! I have been going nuts for days now. Now I am finally free of that stupid start navigation sound!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Niall March 20, 2010 at 9:14 am

Thanks for the deletion tip! Finally rid of that damn clicking torture.

Geoff March 28, 2010 at 5:41 am

I think I found an alternative workaround to this bug in Windows XP.
You can open up the registry editor, find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Explorer\ and delete the values of .current and .default for each of the actions. As ever, take care when editing the Windows registry directly as you can potentially seriously damage your computer.

Tony May 4, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Yes Geoff, that worked for me. Ta.

G.I JOE May 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Finally That ANNOYiNG Fukkkin’ Sound is GONE.
OOOOWEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eli May 30, 2010 at 8:15 am

I found out that what makes the clicking sound at my PC was the Google bar in internet explorer which was making the sound when blocking a popup.
I clicked on the Settings in the bar and disabled the souns.
Now I can hear my music while browsing the net safely :)

hello June 8, 2010 at 1:57 am

THANK YOU!! that clicking sound is sooo ANNOYING! :D

hello June 8, 2010 at 2:00 am

found a way for windows 7 which i have!

michelle August 30, 2010 at 5:04 pm

thanks a million guys, this was driving me crazy.

Ex MicroSofty September 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I thought Windows users enjoyed being tortured? Isn’t this an essential part of the “Windows Experience”?

I gave a friend a linux box that ran without problems for over year. His friends kids used to come over and play Unreal Tournament on it. The thing just worked.

Then one day he decided that he needed to be “compatible with the latest software” and went out bought a Windows box.
He’s suffered from one problem or another ever since. Kids are now not allowed near the new computer. (It’s simply too fragile for that.) And he’s always complaining about how slow the system is and is constantly being pestered to update this or that. I keep telling him that what is happening is the REAL “Windows Experience” not the one in the marketing hype.

The “Windows Paradigm” has no respect for your time, money or your sanity. Why Microsoft “Cool-Aide drinkers” still slurp this crap down is beyond me.