Windows Server 2008 Password Complexity Requirements

by admin on March 10, 2008

I finally got around to installing Windows Server 2008 Standard today.  I performed a Server Core installation, and was suprised how little interaction I had to have with the installer.  It seemed like I answered three or four questions, went to get a Diet Coke, and when I came back the server was at the logon prompt.

During the install process I had not been prompted to provide an Administrator password like I’d experienced during installations of previous Windows Server operating systems.  I entered Administator as the User Name and hit enter, and I was automagically logged onto the server.

Immediately Windows prompted me to change the Administrator password.  I tried reusing a few of my standard passwords, but they kept getting rejected with the following error:

“Unable to update the password.  The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain”

I tried to create a new password several more time, but nothing worked.  I finally decided to find out what the default password policy requirements were for Windows 2008.

When this policy setting is enabled, users must create strong passwords to meet the following minimum requirements:

• Passwords cannot contain the user’s account name or parts of the user’s full name that exceed two consecutive characters.
  • Passwords must be at least six characters in length.
  • Passwords must contain characters from three of the following four categories:
  1. English uppercase characters (A through Z).
  2. English lowercase characters (a through z).
  3. Base 10 digits (0 through 9).
  4. Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %).

I thought it was interesting to find the following explanation from the same web page:

“Password must meet complexity requirements -

This policy setting checks all new passwords to ensure that they meet basic requirements for strong passwords. By default, the value for this policy setting in Windows Server 2008 is configured to Disabled, but it is set to Enabled in a Windows Server 2008 domain for both environments described in this guide.”

That was not the behavior I had experienced with my initial install of Windows Server 2008.  This was a core installation and was not a domain member, so why was the policy enabled?

On another note, when you want to log out of Server Core, simply type logoff

{ 60 comments… read them below or add one }

SIOK Online - MVP April 7, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Same thing here. Downloaded the MSDN version, burned iso to dvd, and was prompted for a key. Tried the one that I was given for all versions, and it didn’t work.

Then I remembered NOT to enter the key, to be prompted to choose the version to install. I chose ENTERPRISE (Full) and had the same thing happen.

I found this page, which explains it clearly, but I thought I’d add the other part!

inconspicuous April 29, 2008 at 5:04 pm

How do you go about disabling it? It seems that our installation is enabled by default and we’d like to get rid of it.

Look Up May 29, 2008 at 8:53 pm

It’s in the technet article, but here’s the info from the jump

You can configure the password policy settings in the following location in the Group Policy Object Editor:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\Password Policy

junior July 7, 2008 at 9:41 am

I forget my windows 2008 server password, please help.

Julie July 7, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Junior-

You may try Locksmith, a part of Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset. You can find the Toolset at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5d600369-0554-4595-8ab4-c34b2860e087&DisplayLang=en

I’ve used Locksmith successfully on client computers before, but never on a Windows 2008 Server, so make sure you know what the risks are.

-Julie

Lengsrun April 4, 2010 at 6:44 am

If you want to change complexity requirement password please go into Run press key gpedit.msc —>window setting–>account polocies—>password polocy—>M password
length change to 1(meaning input by yourself) and password must complexity requirement =Disable
It is OK

Akbar May 5, 2010 at 5:05 am

Hi, i got your answer and i did try it but the problem is i am not able to change the settings since the option box is colorless even i logged by admin. kindly reply me what to do for that/

Mirko July 23, 2008 at 7:38 am

how to disable password complexity policy in 2008 core??
thanks

divyesh September 12, 2008 at 1:10 am

what is a default administrator password in server 2008?

please help

ragia December 23, 2009 at 5:14 am

what is a default administrator password in server 2008 x64?

Sri November 7, 2008 at 6:09 pm

If you’re on a stand-alone machine (no AD etc) and dealing with only local accounts, you can enable/disable the policy from:

Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Account Policies -> Password Policy.

However, you don’t have a lot of settings to work with there. Oh… that’s the GUI way (2008 Standard)… I don’t know the command-line way to do that.

yap February 3, 2009 at 9:13 pm

My server 2008 standard are create the new tree domain, I has follow the stap to change the password policy, but is fail to change the “enfore password history” and all the policy setting.

Is the server disable the the password policy and I cun not add my user at active directory domain user.

Please help me, is very urgent.

Thank.

techman April 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm

use 7 letters an @ sign and 4 numbers it worked for me

vdc February 20, 2009 at 4:57 am

hey everyone! try ” P@ssw0rd ” without the quotes… should work just fine :) it contains al four types of characters.

take care,
vdc

zakash April 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm

very very good bro…….
it’s work fine. thanks.

Indu March 14, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Dear Friend,
I have a problem when relogin by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Delete.
I am running the Windows Server 2008 in the Virtual PC and that Virtual PC has been hosted in Windows XP System.
When I press Alt+Ctrl+Delete to re-login, it is popped up the windows task manager of the host system instead of letting me relogin in Win Server 2008 system. Though I am working in the Virtual Machine, as soon as I pressed those three keys, it is straightaway switched back to the host Win XP system and poping up its task manager.

Please help me to fix this problem.
Regards
Indu

David April 2, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Try using CTRL-ALT-END instead of CTRL-ALT-DEL.

David

swosher.com November 3, 2009 at 2:56 am

Thanks,

That helped me getting my head ache away. CTRL+ALT+END.

Have a nice day!

David April 3, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Good job guys! Interesting article, adding it to my favourites!
Best wishes, David.

maxium April 28, 2009 at 6:13 am

is it posible to use windows server 2008 als standalone server with ad?

or need to use a other domain controller to join it?

Luc April 29, 2009 at 10:37 am

Complexity requirements, on INcomplexity requirements?
My password matches what these requirements demand, yet I got the same message.
It contains letters, digits and a UNICODE non-alphanumeric character (alt+3 digit number) which makes it far more secure (the classic brute force password scanners never include unicode because it would take them aeons to complete), it exceeds the minimum length, yet server 2008 refused it as not meeting the complexity requirements.
I had to add one more character from what it considers “non-alphabetic characters”. Apparently they created a list of what non-alphabetic characters are accepted for group 4, instead of defining it as “anything except A-Z, a-z and 0-9″.

P December 30, 2009 at 12:20 pm

LUC, Did you ever find a solution?

I am in the same boat. We just enabled the domain policy for 7char/complexity, and no passwords are “complex enough”.

(no it’s not an issue with trying to make up a complex password) WE’ve tried passwords that are sufficient in legnth, dont contain any portion of the users name, are not similar to prior passwords, and contain ALL of the character types [Aa1#] Example: “ThisP@ssword$ucks!!77″ is not complex enough

Skipper74 May 6, 2010 at 4:01 am

I just followed a this answer :

Sri Says:
November 7, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Password must meet complexity requirements : Disabled

And after that, no PW Complexity anymore..

Zivuku James May 17, 2009 at 11:51 am

I have just installed windows server 2008 standard on my new server. Unfortunately, its not allowing me to log in rather requesting me to change my password at first log in. I have put the password that i believe is valid but its rejecting it with this message
“Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain”
Guys can you give me advice,

James.

Zivuku James May 17, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Ehee guys the solution is “p@ssw0rd” i got it right, thank you brother VDC.

makidrin June 11, 2009 at 5:50 pm

now i know your admin password. just wait till i find your server :)

Fernando June 20, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Thank you so much.

bryan669 August 30, 2010 at 7:42 am

thanks. what a pain i’m having installing this on a proliant ml110

Hồ Công Trưởng June 14, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Guys can you give me advice,

Fernando June 20, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Follow the VDC recomendation: as password, type: “p@ssw0rd” without the quotes, and have fun :-D

singo June 26, 2009 at 11:48 am

thankz so much VDC. “p@ssw0rd” its really work, well done!.

sunny July 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm

i followed this and really my problem is sloved
thanks
i take a password- AS12as23

RyGuy July 7, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I am surprised at all of the trouble everyone here is having coming up with a sufficient password! I would think if one is “tech savvy” enough to require/desire Server 2008 (or any server OS for that matter) he should at the very least be able to follow the simple directions for creating a secure password. Instead you all now have the same password. Sad really…

Zahraine September 27, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Can we fully disable the password for 2008 server. Really irritating when it always ask to change password every 30 days

The GUI-Guy October 1, 2009 at 8:21 am

For the 2008 Server Core. To lift the password complexity:

secedit /export /cfg C:\new.cfg

Then you edit new.cfg (it is ini format) and change line “PasswordComplexity = 1″ to “PasswordComplexity = 0″.

Apply it on Hyper-V server with:

secedit /configure /db %windir%\security\new.sdb /cfg C:\new.cfg /areas SECURITYPOLICY

Khalid Shah March 14, 2010 at 6:50 am

Excellenttttttttttt ……..thanks

Markus June 2, 2010 at 9:17 am

Thanx Gui-guy!!!!

Working 100% will make my life much easier now.

tntgl June 11, 2010 at 7:34 am

thankkkkkzzzzz it’s work. ^^

Mamoun October 15, 2009 at 3:04 am

worked for me too, thanks alot.

Raymond October 24, 2009 at 5:49 pm

awesome! thx i really needed this

Paul January 11, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hi all I just ran into this one and its a pain but it is easy to fix.
goto Server manager install Group policy feature
open group policy console and find you domain> navigate to default domain policy> go to setting tab and then goto windows settings/security settings/ account policies/ right click and edit.

Set them with settings of your choice but be mindfull of setting them 2 low

Cheers for the post it helped me

Paul

will June 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Paul….you the man. Thanks a lot.

gkhnyrn July 27, 2010 at 11:30 am

paul,

you are the ‘one’ my friend..

thanks..

Joseph S. Kamara July 29, 2010 at 7:03 am

Hi Paul,

your guide worked for me. I have been having similar problem like Johnnyblaze.

thanx. you made me learn somethng new.

rgds,

Joe

Paul August 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Hi All just thought I would give an update as it appears the same question is being asked, my method using group policy is after you have set up the server and your first password, my process should be the next step as it allows you to turn off the default Windows server password policy or at least taylor it to your needs you can shorten the length and turn off the new password feature, but this has to be done through group policy.

just wait till you try and set up Exchange Server 2008 (its great fun or should I say challenging!)

Cheers P

sadal November 3, 2010 at 2:19 am

thank you Paul. it works..!
then run: gpupdate /force
to apply changes.

shahid March 15, 2010 at 3:22 am

hi folks
i have windows 2008server enterprise as my domain controller ,i am facing problem when i want to change
password complexity , i went
local sercurity policy / acont policy
when i want to change it , all option are disbled
i cant chagne any thing
plz help me

Johnnyblaze March 22, 2010 at 7:44 am

Paul,

You lifesaver! Thanks very much for this password policy update! It was doing my head in!!! :)

Worked a treat!

Thanks again….

Leo March 29, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Thanks. I tried a lot of combinations which I thought were very secure but I didn’t know it has to be THIS secure.

jason April 26, 2010 at 1:46 am

your article is awesome

Ahdar May 21, 2010 at 3:02 am

Thanks, its very nice… the trick is working

Ram July 22, 2010 at 6:04 am

Don’t try to change the password by pressing ALT+CTRL+DEL, better go to the user management and then change the administrator account password. It worked for me, however complex password I tried in ALT+CTRL+DEL, I use to keep getting
“Unable to update the password”

Khun July 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Thank so much..

I can change Admin password.

Ying August 17, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I need to reset a Windows Server 2008 password! Please help!

harish August 20, 2010 at 6:46 am

thank u very much!

Yonsen September 4, 2010 at 3:44 am

Dear all,
I have been asked to replace the password after some time, so I changed it, and somehow now I can’t remember the password. Is there any way I can reset the password, since I am unable to use the server now. Thank you so much for the help.

Alians September 15, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Work great…….. Thanks! :)

Kenneth October 2, 2010 at 12:00 am

This is crazy jacked… Never ran into this issue before. This time around, I’m creating a WinSvr2008 VM inside of ESXi 4.1. I get the OS installed, configure a few things, restart several times and log into Administrator account with my correct and valid password (which is not P@ssw0rd btw). I then get prepped for installed AD by running the “Net User Administrator passwordreq:yes” command. Then, I proceed with AD DS install without any problems, run dcpromo at the end and when this is completed, server wants to restart. I have not set any passwords or anything except those that are prompted inside the installation, and those are not the domain usernames. Upon rebooting the server, I attempt to log into the newly created domain\administrator account using my former password = FAIL. I try to then log into Local\administrator = FAIL. How the eff did these passwords get changed and why the eff did I not get the opportunity to set them myself?! I’m going to have to reinstall this gd VM yet again because of this stupid issue. Thoughts?!

Junaks2000 October 4, 2010 at 1:31 am

Thank bro… It works for me 2…. Thanks again….

Davood October 13, 2009 at 3:36 am