I’ve been trying to troubleshoot an email server problem all day, and one of the tests I’ve been performing is trying to connect to port 25 of the mail server through Telnet. Every time I tried I get connection refused messages, and the connection would drop.
- Started McAfee VirusScan Console
- Double clicked Access Protection
- Highlighted the Anti-Virus Standard Protection category from the left column
- Highlighted the Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail rule in the right column
- Pressed Edit
- Under Processes to Exclude, I put my cursor at the end of the list of processes, which was winpm-32.exe in my case. I typed a comma following winpm-32, exe, and then added a space and telnet.exe to the list
- I pressed OK twice, exited VirusScan Console, and was able to Telnet to my mail server.