I use Outlook 2007 and have experienced crazy formatting problems under certain circumstances that are not always reproducible. Here’s what I did to fix the problem:
- Close both Outlook and Word if they are running
- Browse to my C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates directory and rename the normal.dotm and normalemail.dotm files. These files will be automatically recreated the next time you launch Outlook. Note that renaming these files may cause you to lose signatures and other custom settings.
- Launch Outlook, then close Outlook. This will cause your normalemail.dotm file to be recreated.
- Launch Word, then close Word. This will cause your normal.dotm file to be recreated.
- Recreate your signatures if needed.
- Repeat this process for any other user profiles you may have.
I’m sure there is a more elegant way to fix this problem, but I’ve tried modifying everything I could think of inside both Outlook and Word – styles, formatting, stationary, Outlook templates, etc.