According to the readme file included with Netware 6.5 Service Pack 6 (Last modified: 06Nov2006),
“If you have eDirectory 8.8 installed on the server, copy the dhost.nlm (dated 18Sep2006 09:36AM) to the server’s sys:\system directory and reboot the server before applying the Support Pack. ”
Then the Novell eDirectory 8.8 Readme Addendum was released and has become a living document listing the known issues with eDirectory 8.8.
then Novell released eDirectory 8.8.1, which they had security problems. To fix this issue, they released eDirectory Post 8.8 SP1 FTF1 for NW & Win32 which is a patch for the compromised eDirectory 8.8.1 support pack. This TID states:
“NOTE: This patch contains a new DHOST.NLM (dated 10-16-2006 05:29pm) that must be installed on a NetWare 6.5 server running eDirectory 8.8.1 prior to installing Support Pack 6.”
Which is fine and dandy, except here came Security Services 2.0.4, which notes:
“If you install NetWare 6.5 SP6 and upgrade to eDirectory 8.8 or eDirectory 8.8 SP1, the eDirectory install will backrev NMAS, PKIS and NICI. If this happens, applying this patch is appropriate.”
“If you are installing the Security Services 2.0.4 patch on a NetWare 6.5 server with eDirectory 8.8 SP1 installed, you MUST apply “eDirectory Post 8.8 SP1 FTF1″ for NetWare (or greater) prior to applying the Security Services 2.0.4 patch or the install will hang. If you did not apply the “eDirectory Post 8.8 SP1 FTF1″ (or greater) patch before installing the Security Services 2.0.4 patch and the installation hangs, apply the above patch and rerun the Security Services 2.0.4 install.”
Continuing the saga, then came eDirectory Post 8.8 SP1 FTF2, which stated:
“This is being provided to resolve known security issues as well as critical defects. NOTE: This patch contains a new DHOST.NLM (dated 2007-01-25 10:09:46) that must be installed on a NetWare 6.5 server running eDirectory 8.8.1 prior to installing Support Pack 6.”
Since I have Netware 6.5 and eDirectory 8.8.x, before I update my servers, I’m going to:
1) Carefully read the readme file for NW65SP6 before doing anything.
2) Search the Novell support knowledge base for updated TIDs on eDirectory 8.1.x and Netware 6.5 SP6.
2) Determine the version of eDirectory I have on each server prior to applying Netware 6.5 Service Pack 6. To do this, on the system console type version
3) Apply the appropriate patches, reboot, and run a dsrepair on the master just to be safe once eDirectory has been patched. TID 3426981 appears to be a living document that keeps up with all the changes in the eDirectory updates.
4) Backup eDirectory using dsbk before attempting any patching or upgrades